Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Life is fair (Thriller)

Life is fair (Thriller)

I don't know how?! But one fine day I found a six rupees note in my wallet. It looked like a five rupee note. Same color, design, emblem, Mahatma Gandhi's image and RBI governor's signature. Everything was OK except that it was six rupees instead of five. Considering my position in society and my hefty salary, I could have ignored it and thrown that into dustbin. But I didn't. After all, money is money. If I had not thought that way, I would not have been in this comfortable position, financially to be precise. So I decided to get rid of it without losing valuable five rupees.

Like any other software pros I postponed the task to weekend.

Winter was at its peak. City was covered with smog. It was just what doctor would have ordered for an adventure like mine. I could see, people's movement thinning down in the street. It was Saturday night, many people had settled down cozily in their warmth of the home. I had dressed as ordinarily as possible and put on a big monkey cap, started my adventure and walked a fair bit to be away from my known neighbors and home. Just in case something went wrong?! See! I had to take care of all possibility.

After walking a mile or so, stopped to gaze around for the known faces. I felt comfortable that there were no known people around. I was in fairly unknown territory. Then with a satisfaction, I stopped to catch a breath, looked around for a suitable place or victim or gullible person to exchange my precious six rupees note. I need not have to search for long. I saw an old lady sitting under a dimly-lit street light selling groundnuts and peanuts. For a split second I felt bad for choosing that old innocent lady for the operation 'fake note exchange'. I thought of the book that I had read few weeks back, how ruthless you have to be to grow rich in life and earn millions. I decided to put that into act. I crushed that soft feeling. I felt better. I started walking towards lamp post.

Reading book was one thing, enacting those principles was completely another thing. As I started moving towards the lamp post, I could feel the cold sweat running down the neck. Fairly unknown place, dark night and that old innocent lady infused some courage in me. I started rehearsing the lines I should have with that old granny. I was completely prepared for all eventualities.

First I would ask her a change for a note without mentioning the amount. Then handover the note and take the change and slip way. If that granny notices it is fake six rupees note then I would cry foul and explain her that in a busy bus, bus conductor had given me the note and quietly put the note back in my pocket. To comfort her, I would buy couple of rupees groundnut and slip away. In case she raises an alarm and someone else enters the scene, then I would run away in darkness. There would be hardly any chance to catch me as it was very dark. I knew the area too well and I knew all short-cuts.


See!!! I had done all risk analysis and prepared well. I am not a software engineer for nothing.

All this thinking and preparation boosted my confidence, I felt better as I stood in front of that granny. She was a very old indeed, minimum sixty-five years. Dressed in worn-out sari and she had put on shawl around her and scarf on the head, to protect her from cold weather.


In sweet voice I greeted her. Asked her, "Grand-ma do you have change for a note'. She reciprocated well and said ' let me check...’ checked old worn out cloth-cash-bag, which is very typical in our place. Then she surprised me as she asked, ' Son, to what note you want a change?'. My heart skipped a bit, mouth went dry. I hesitated for a second, tried to wet my lips with a tongue and said ' I need a change for five rupees'.


She took the note examined it in dim light for the denomination. Again sweat beads formed on my forehead. Satisfied with her examination, she put it into her kitty and gave me couple of notes. From then onwards it was cool. I was so excited about the success of whole operation; with out checking what and how much she gave, I just slipped the notes into my pocket and trotted way. I must admit, I was softly running after few feet.

Reached home, my wife gave me a questioning look. She speculated that I might have smoked outside. As she came near me, I told her that I have not smoked. With a effort also my voice sounded strange and husky to myself. Last weekend on her birth day I had promised to quit smoking forever and she hardly believed it. Still feeling suspicious that I might have smoked, she dashed into kitchen.

I went to my room to check whether that granny has given me the right amount or not. I locked the room and turned the God's photo to other side. I pulled out notes that granny had given. My heart skipped a beat, my face turned white and felt weak in knees on seeing what that granny had given me. I crashed into the chair.


I went completely blank. I don't know how long I sat there. I got-up forcibly as I heard knock on the door and my wife's call for supper. Looked at the notes lying on my table, still unable to come into grip with the reality.

:

:

:

That old lady had given me two three rupees note!!!

-------*-------*-------*-------

9 comments:

Keshava said...

Chennagidhe Sir. Nice Depiction of "The Satan getting the better of the Good - Evil Mind, to be precise". Quite interesting / touching too.

Madhukar Hebbar said...

Beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

You should not have accepted 2 notes in exchange of 5 rupees :)... it was bound to be creepy..

Achu - The Snow Girl said...

Its awesum article. Suspence, thrilling and finally a fair dealing. Thats called satisfaction. Hats of to this :):)

Unknown said...

Good One!!

ಗೀತಾಂಜಲಿ ವೆಂ ಅರಕೇರಿ said...

Waav !! what an imagination!Keep writing and training your mind.

Critic said...

So the moral of the story is beware of grand-ma's who sell peanuts. They are the ones who print and sell counterfeit notes...

Olle vishya heLkotri Sankru :)

Atmaram said...

superb sir
creative taught
overall very good

lone.unicorn said...

Nice story with a great ending - would now have to try and get change for three rupee note [:D].