Monday, December 15, 2008

The Philosophy of life and Baa Baa Black Sheep

The Philosophy of life and Baa Baa Black Sheep

Baa, baa, black sheep,Have you any wool?
Yes sir, yes sir,Three bags full.
One for the master,One for the dame,
And one for the little boy Who lives down the lane.
Baa, baa, black sheep,Have you any wool?
Yes sir, yes sir,Three bags full.

- Written By: Unknown

I am sure, at some point in your life, you have heard or sung or taught this rhyme to kids. What I see in this poem is whole philosophy of life.

Let us look at rhyme more closely....

Baa, baa, black sheep,Have you any wool?Yes sir, yes sir,Three bags full.

When enquired about wool, Black Sheep replies...

"One for the master," this signifies your work and professional life. This should be your first and foremost priority. Job is what helps us to support our families and beloved ones. For most of us this is the only source of income. Be honest, loyal and sincere at your work. Give your best shot at work. Have long term plans and goals.

Then Black Sheep doesn't stop there... it’s reply continues.... "One for the dame" As you can easily guess, this line symbolizes family life. Pay more attention to family. A disturbed home can always trouble you in more ways you can imagine. However busy you are professionally, find sometime and spend with your family and friends. This will rejuvenate you greatly.

The last part of the answer... "And one for the little boy, who lives down the lane" signifies a Social Responsibility which each one of us should shoulder. We should make it a practice to donate a small part of our earnings for social causes, be it helping the poor, environmental issues, etc.

Last part of the answer also signifies another vital part of the life is our individual interests or hobbies. These are what keep us going. For me it is reading and writing. If somebody asks me "how do you live?" I would say I live by reading and writing. I can sacrifice anything in life except reading and writing. For me it is reading and writing, for you it may be cricket or music or chess or stamp collection... or whatever. These are the things that keep us alive and make life more interesting.

4 comments:

Atmaram said...

Good one VSS
This time i will actually critique your post.
Its a very nice comparison on the whole but i would beg to defer from you at a certain comparison.
To me my first and foremost priority is my family and friends that does not mean I am not loyal to my work but to me family and friends are more important.
I am extremly glad that you have brought a comparison with social responsibility, I think its the need of the hour for India to make further progress and I am glad you are already delivering yours.
GOOD JOB VSS

Madhukar Hebbar said...

Nice representation of simple words sir :-)

so we need to have 3 bags full of wool to live life :-) ok sir.. :-)

I couldn't understand what part of answer related to Hobbies and how. I thought hobbies more fit into the first answer..

One bag for Me, One for family, One for society types.

Woho.. Society is the reason why government takes 30% tax I think :-)

Anonymous said...

hmm nice to read an unusual perspective of such a usual well known poem! :)

I think I agree with comments that difference in priorities will be there. Someone had told me some metaphor that we're like a juggler juggling balls - drop some of the balls they bounce back as they're made of rubber, but some other balls they break as they're made of glass. So there is one ball that we can't afford to drop... which is the family! :)

This reminds me of the story of the spoon of oil :)

Anonymous said...

spoon of oil

Yeah social responsibility is a really important aspect you've highlighted.